5 Keys to Community Engagement
The Five Keys to Community Engagement are designed to help school leaders create successful relationships and partnerships between their school and its community. The keys offer clear and effective ways for establishing common ground; coordinated efforts for identifying and using resources effectively to meet goals; and shared accountability for improving outcomes and sustaining improvements. Successful implementation begins and ends with passionate commitment and requires strategic planning, creative thinking and steady effort. Taken together, the Five Keys enable school leaders to build lasting connections with their community.
The Five Keys are:
- Key 1: Share Leadership – Collaborate to strengthen your NLC and community
- Key 2: Reach Out – Discover who your community members are
- Key 3: Know Where You're Going – Stay connected with your community
- Key 4: Stay on Course ‒ Stay true to your vision
- Key 5: Tell Your School's Story – Be bold and share what’s working
Use the Five Keys throughout the community engagement process. They are not intended to be used chronologically but to guide each step of your community engagement plan. Adapt as necessary to fit your NLC’s needs.